The Breaking of an Image...

As a break from processing India images from my recent trip I've been revisiting some older images.  Three years ago I visited central Australia for the first time and was confronted by some truly spectacular scenery.  And while the weather conditions were challenging for photography - very hot and very hazy - I did manage to snag some good images.  Unfortunately, I can't say that my Uluru shots lived up to that standard.  There are a couple that could come to something when I get around to processing them seriously.

Over the last three days I've been obsessing over one particular image of Uluru.  I've processed the life out of this one from all angles and perspectives.  Today, I admitted defeat.  There's just not enough resolution and sharpness in the foreground (nor enough in the rock itself).  Below is the final image that I have admitted defeat on.

Pleasing colours, but ultimately, not happy...

What I wanted to show you was an insight into the amount of effort I put into this one to try and get it up to scratch.  Normally I don't process images as much as this one, but hey, I was temporarily obsessed, and determined to create a masterpiece.  Oh well....  Here's the original image:

Yawn...

An idea of the scale of my obsession.  The following Lightroom screen shot looks like a pimpled teenager with all the brush editing points.  And that image doesn't show the gradient and radial filter adjustments that I threw at it either. ;)  Nor the edits to the original raw and subsequent Nik Viveva edits.  Next to that is a screen shot of the Photoshop adjustment layers I chucked at it.  Actually not that many for some people, but that's a lot for me.  I do most of my editing in Lightroom.

And that wasn't the end of it either! ;)

Alas, I will have to continue to stare at my other Uluru images until one of them grabs me enough to attempt to beat it into shape....